Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract

Subject: Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract
From: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:19:22 -0800

> I have been offered a permanent position in a
> different division of the same employer (with
> all the same responsibilities and title) but
> with a substantial pay cut (15%) and at an HR
> level 'medium'. I questioned the pay ceiling
> they were offering and was told to consider
> all the benefits which come with being a
> permanent employee.

A lot of people mentioned insurance as a benefit, but there
are some other financial benefits in being a non-contracting employee
that Anon should consider, such as bonuses, raises, employer
matching 401K, paid training, paid time off, stock purchase
program, employee discounts, etc. Not to mention the opportunity
for advancement. I know not all companies
are offering this kind of thing now in hard times, but I
would bet that any large company offers at least some of those
benefits.

A lot of people I know moved from contracting to staff
positions in the same company
and been very happy about it. Even though it sometimes
took some time to catch up, they ended up surpassing what they
would have made if they had stayed in their contracting positions.

Krista Van Laan

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com