Managing A Project

Subject: Managing A Project
From: Alexandra Han <sandlh -at- ns -dot- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:55:16 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new technical writer, so be nice to me :-)

I'm trying to estimate as accurately as possible some things for my next technical writing project, to gauge how I'm doing time-wise and organizational-wise, so that I can be as effective as possible.

If you can answer just one question, that would be great! Don't let me overload you!

When you start a project:
1) How much time does it takes for you to research and write up one page of reasonably polished-up information for a subject you are not familiar with?
2) Do you polish up each page/section as much as possible before you move to the next page/section, or do a rough draft, knowing you'll fix it all up at the end of the project?
4) How do you know when you're spending too much time working on a specific section of the project?
5) How many hours do you normally spend, as an average, per week, researching, writing and editing?
Any information that can help guide me to determine when I'm spinning my wheels and need to move on would be valuable.

Thanks!

Alexandra Han
www.internetwriting.net
(to be re-launched the end of March)

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com