Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...
* ANNOUNCE: LavaCon early registration discount ends March 31st! (NEW)
* STORY: SnagIt History (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE! TECHWR-L's 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!
* TRAINING: Workshops for Non-Dummies

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: LavaCon early registration discount ends March 31st!

LavaCon was created in response to a need for a conference that focuses on
one area: how to manage technical communication projects and teams.

Register by March 31st and save $500 off the full conference tuition, and
reserve an ocean view room at the beautiful Maui Prince Resort for only
$155/night!

See http://www.lavacon.org/Program_register.htm to register.

LavaCon: come for the conference, stay for a tan!

03/08/03-03/15/03

STORY: SnagIt History

"I can hardly believe TECHWR-L is celebrating its 10th birthday!" Dan the
technical writer said after he logged onto the TECHWR-L site.

"Ten years! What a long time - I've had some friendships that have lasted
that long," he mused. "I had a car that lasted that long . . . just
barely," he admitted.

"What else . . . what else?" he wondered. He forgot about it and went off
to meet with his coworkers about the newest version of a user's manual.

"Okay, Dan," Josh said. "The screenshots you've done so far are great,
but we need some more for - "

Dan suddenly brightened, as if Josh had just imparted some mystical
knowledge. His expression caused Josh to hesitate.

"SnagIt!" Dan exclaimed. "SnagIt's been around for OVER ten years -
since 1990! My screen capture program just gets better with age! It's
like a fine wine! It's like fine cheese! It's like . . . other things
that get better with age!" he said breathlessly.

"The capture, editing and organizational capabilities continue to improve
every year. If you used an older version of SnagIt, you should see what
it can do now," Dan emphasized to his coworkers.

They thanked him and finished up the meeting. On the way out, Josh said
to Dan, "That figure - over ten years - really hits home. My first
marriage didn't last that long . . . do you think you could show me how
SnagIt works?"

Dan clapped Josh on the shoulder. "Get ready for the best decade of your
life," he said.

Start the next ten years off right at www.techsmith.com.

03/03/03-03/11/03

ANNOUNCE! TECHWR-L's 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!

Sing with us:

Happy Birthday, TECHWR-L!
Happy Birthday, TECHWR-L!
Happy Biiiiiiirthday, TECHWR-L!
Happy Birthday to YOU!

With TECHWR-L celebrating its 10th birthday (March 7, 1993), we're
having a celebration with contests and prizes--generously provided by
our very own TECHWR-L sponsors. Participate in the current contest:

Who has been on the TECHWR-L list the longest?

Of current TECHWR-L subscribers, who was the first to subscribe? If you
think you're the one, let us know! Tell us when you subscribed, and from
which address (if you remember). The winner of the "Who Has Been On
Hyperionic's HyperSnap-DX, HyperCam, or FileBox eXtender, courtesy of

This contest ends at 23:59 on Friday, March 6, US Mountain Standard
Time, so hurry and enter:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/special/contests/index.html

This TECHWR-L Contest page will provide up-to-date information about
contests this month! Visit often and get your entries in!

03/01/03-03/08/03

TRAINING: Workshops for Non-Dummies

You're not a dummy... but are you struggling to document an API,
to understand complex software, to look at C++ or Java code, or
even write a brochure without any training in those areas?

Gordon & Gordon presents a week of workshops in Toronto that
will give you all the information you need to work even smarter.

"Documenting APIs and SDKs" -- there's nothing else like it!
"Just Enough Java" to document APIs in Java
"Just Enough C and C++" to document APIs in C and C++
"Understanding Complex Software"
"How to Write Marketing Materials for High-Tech Firms"

When: Monday April 7 to Friday April 11, 2003
Where: downtown Toronto
Cost: US$249 (CAD$399) per day before discounts

Discounts are available for early-birds, members of the STC
and ACM SIGDOC, and for attending more than one workshop.
For details, visit http://www.gordonandgordon.com/workshops.html

02/11/03-03/26/03

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.