Re: Even more on gender neutrality

Subject: Re: Even more on gender neutrality
From: david -dot- godley -at- thinking -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:09:32 -0700

> By the way, Sanskrit is Indo-European, though distantly related. And, it
> turns out, the term "gender" in language has nothing to do with the sex of
> an object; the term is derived from Latin "gens" meaning "type". It is just
> a coincidence that Indo-European languages generally have three genders that
> happen to correspond roughly to masculine, feminine and neuter. There are
> languages that have more than three genders (I believe the record is 127),
> and some that only have two.

An example of a language where gender is used in terms of "type" is Thai.

All objects are classified by what can only be described as a descriptive
collective noun

Much mirth and merriment is to be had if you use the wrong classifier.

Thai also has no plural form.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com