RE: Perceptually true, Technically wrong

Subject: RE: Perceptually true, Technically wrong
From: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:39:36 -0600

>>...if it is indeed a fan.

It was a fan.

>>Suppose a self-contained piece of equipment includes something that is
>>a series of angled vanes surrounding a hub driven in a circular motion
>>by a motor (what we think of as a fan), but it also includes a thermostat
>>and perhaps a component that directs the air in one direction or another,
>>a filter, and a housing.

>>This is an air moving device.

Sounds more like a "self-contained multidirectional heating/ cooling
assembly" or something. I'll bet they could get a PREMIUM price for that!

In any case, the complaint was not about accurately describing something in
the simplest possible terms, it was about calling a fan an Air Moving
Device. Capital letters, acronym, and all.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com