RE: Need a smarter person than me

Subject: RE: Need a smarter person than me
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:18:34 -0500

Actually, John, had I gone back to Sharon's first post on the topic, I still would not have _assumed_ (neatly tying this to another thread) that the client specified Myriad. I would have assumed only that the client specified letter height in inches and that Sharon was positing Myriad as a hypothetical font choice in order to elicit advice on how to make the height correspond to the spec.

In any case, despite the various other plausible scenarios that have been put forth, my experience with labeling regulations leads me to favor my own hypothesis as to the origin of this peculiar requirement.

As to matching a new piece to an old piece from a different vendor, I've seen many people try that trick, and it's always a lot harder than the customer thinks it should be. There are a lot of variables aside from the name of the font and the nominal point size that go into making one block of text look like another block of text. And given that Myriad is a Multiple Master font (variable optical axes so you can create any number of distinct typefaces from it), the task becomes nearly impossible without a lot more information.

All sympathies to Sharon, though, as this sound like a real CFH.

Dick

From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:06:25 -0500

>Dick...a font was specified. See the next text:
>
>>...For Myriad Roman, can anyone help? I am stumped. ...
>
>I assume that Myriad Roman is a font. I only noticed it because it wasn't a
>common font name.
>
>What probably happened was that some time in the past, someone made a
>deliverable and they used a certain font and point size. A second
>deliverable was made and since the first one was used as a template,
>shazaam...instant standard. Now, even if they wanted to change, they cannot
>because anything different will appear, well....different.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com