Smarter person than me - shifted slightly

Subject: Smarter person than me - shifted slightly
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:04:08 -0800

One of the hardest things for a contractor to learn - and it took me about 5
years to really get this - is that the customer is not always right, but
they have a right to get what they are paying for. And when they define what
they want to pay for, they need to get that. Even if they are wrong. (I am
not saying our client is wrong here, there are things that are driving these
decisions that I cannot impact so I won't even quarrel with them.)

Contractors have an obligation to point out the possible or likely problems
if decision A is made but if the client says, Nope, we like this decision
and that is what we want, then that is what they need to get.

My job is to make the best of what the client wants and to mitigate as many
problems as I can, given what they are paying for.

This is VERY hard to get when you are fresh faced and shiny. It is sometimes
very hard to watch a company make not good decisions that you know are going
to bite them, but we have an obligation to provide the best we can possibly
do, even when it is not what WE think should be done.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590