Re: Greetings from a Newb...

Subject: Re: Greetings from a Newb...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:01:56 -0800

b_c_bolin -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

My short term plan is to collect my best work and do some
volunteer work with a local group to build a decent portfolio and then
start shopping it local contract agencies looking to get on a team or
small project.
A reasonable plan. You might have a look at some open source projects, too.

Who provides software?
If you're a contractor, generally you do. But you can write it off as a business expense.

Do I need a
laptop or will a workstation be provided (this is a biggy, I am in the
market to replace one of my PCs at home, I don't need a laptop but if it
would help in this area I will get one instead of a desktop)?
If you work on site, most of the time your client will supply a computer. If you work at home, then you do - again, you should be able to write it off.
A laptop may not be necessary, but it's very handy to have one, especially if you have multiple clients.

I wouldn't call myself highly skilled in anything but Word and Acrobat, do I
even bother to mention the other stuff?
That depends. Can you work with them to a reasonable level? Does the job require them?

I manage Wintel boxes, but prefer to work on a Mac, do i state a preference or just be glad to get work,
even though I am clearly more productive on a Mac?
Stating a preference might rob you of work. Unless you're determined to avoid Intel machines, I suggest you just mention that you can work on both.

What kind of terms and
conditions are standard for this sort of thing?
This is a huge area to research. You might start by looking through the archives for comments on these subjects.

What type of contract
agency should I approach, I know one type of contract agency does not fit
every job?

Check whether the agency handles tech-writers. Avoid agencies that charge you, rather than the company - they are often unreputable, and, even if they aren't, why pay if you can avoid it?

One thing you didn't ask, but should know is that your sysadmin background, properly mentioned, could give you a big boost. Many technical writers don't have your kind of expertise, and those who do can sometimes command higher pay.

These are just brief replies, but I hope they help some.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"There's a fading beauty talking in riddles,
Rome burns down and everybody fiddles,
Poor deportee,
But a thousand dollars won't buy an American wife, alas,
There's a thousand years' history in that whiskey glass."
- Elvis Costello, "The Deportee Club"

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com