Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing)

Subject: Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing)
From: "Beth Brooks" <beth -dot- brooks -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:25:09 -0600

LeavesFirst, my own contribution:

A road sign in areas subject to brush fires near Tulsa, Oklahoma: "Don't
Drive Into The Smoke"

1. If there's enough smoke to make driving dangerous, who's going to be able
to read the sign?
2. If the driver isn't smart enough to stop the car rather than drive into a
cloud of smoke, wouldn't we be better off without him? (Same goes for
motorcycle helmets, imho.)

Now, a plea for compassion:

Have pity on a poor, starving writer/editor who needs to develop a portfolio
that proves she can do more than write software documentation! Rewriting
signs and excerpts from badly written novels, while rewarding in a personal
sense, does not put ink cartridges in the printer! I'm pitching my services
to members of the local Chamber of Commerce soon, and I'd like to show them
concrete examples that prove I add value.

*Many* thanks to those of you who stayed serious long enough to point me in
a helpful direction. So far, I have an unappealing sales postcard from a
timeshare company and a web page for a web designer who ought to consider
other work if this is the best s/he can do. I'm going to change the names to
protect the innocent (guilty?) and do my best to write appealing, persuasive
copy.

I could really use a newsletter or two and some direct mail pieces.

Thanks again!

Beth, who will forever after maintain a file of BAD writing examples just
for such occasions as this.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com