RE: The Tech Writing World

Subject: RE: The Tech Writing World
From: "Schermerhorn, Robert" <roberts -at- chipdata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:49:31 -0600

Keith wrote:

Absolutely. As the person whose BS comment is being quoted, I should
clarify. By BS I am not referring to *deceiving* somebody that you are
something that you're not, as much as I'm suggesting that you need to
*charm* those you talk to into wanting to know more about you, and into
having confidence in your abilities.

To do so, you need to be able to shoot the poo (so to speak) with
whomever
you encounter in the job hunting process. Hence the scatological
reference. <g>

I do NOT advocate misrepresenting yourself, but I do think a little
charm
goes a long way. It can get you past some of the hurdles you'll
encounter
when your qualifications are not exactly in synch with the posted job
requirements. Get the door open with charm. Then show them some ability.
Ask for their confidence, and then earn it.

<snip>

Well said. I will more deeply consider the value of finesse and charm
going forward (but I still don't like the term "BS" used with a positive
connotation :-).

Thanks and regards,

Robert

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com