Re: Marcom as TechCom

Subject: Re: Marcom as TechCom
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:30:19 -0500

Not only that, but such information provides a context for the user, and helps them understand what the product is and what it can do for them. Without such information, they are just following steps. By understanding the concepts and principles behind the product, they are in a better position to then generalize that information to new situations, which may not be covered in the manual. It aids in learning, and increases customer loyalty to the product.

Gordon Graham wrote:

"R. Johnson" wrote
Some technical documents could use an infusion of marcom,
IMHO. Especially software manuals...

So once again, a real-world scenario SHOWS the benefit of the feature before
it TELLS how to do it.

Another thing I always do in a technical manual is include a little section
at the start called "What is [Product Name]?" And then I stick in the 50-100
word product blurb to remind users why they or their company bought it in
the first place. That only takes a minute, and it makes for a much more
satisfying introduction to a manual.

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
http://www.agnewcom.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com