RE: Common approach to documentation

Subject: RE: Common approach to documentation
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:49:11 -0600

> I have tried to get a discussion going to look at what compromises can
be
> made and how we can move forward, but have met with stubborn
resistance to
> any change.

Fly the US team out to the UK, take them out to a pub and buy the first
round. By the end of the night (or beginning of morning), you'll have a
compromise. Everyone might not remember what that compromise was, but
you'll have a compromise! :)

Change is tough. Some people, when presented with change, "turtle" up
immediately and are not open to suggestions. Why? Because it's new.
Because it's different. Because they don't understand all of the bits
and pieces of this "new" thing. In your case, they might not understand
where this merger is going to take their company, and more importantly,
where it's going to take their jobs. Will the bigger branch in the UK
eventually assume the documentation responsibilities so that all the
documentation can come from one group in one physical location? I betcha
some are thinking that. I know that thought would have crossed my mind.

The key here is to get past all of this new weirdness that has entered
your lives. My suggestion:

Don't think about getting to a compromise right now. Put this on a 2-3
month (maybe longer) hiatus. What you need to do is establish trust,
friendship, and confidence from your US co-workers. Once these are
established, then you can have an open dialog about meshing your two
strengths and moving forward as a complete, and not fractured, unit.

How to get this going ... How about setting up a conference call where
you talk about the issues on your plates? Make them a part of your group
by including them and encouraging them to contribute. Maybe make this a
weekly or bi-weekly thing. Keep it to 30 minutes, and have this be a
part of whatever regular department meeting you have (if you have one).

Most importantly, be respectful, truthful, and friendly. Don't kiss
their behinds because that'll make you look like you have an ulterior
motive. Also, when it does come time to get to a compromise, by learning
about your new team mates and what their job requirements and demands
are (and vice-versa), you will both be able to make well thought out
suggestions on compromises that take into account both teams and their
unique needs.

Just some ramblings on a Thursday,
Dan Glovier

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com