RE: Dumb as a fox; was BS-ing your way...

Subject: RE: Dumb as a fox; was BS-ing your way...
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:46:22 -0500

>After re-reading what I wrote earlier, I realized
>it might not have come across how I meant it.
>
>My intent was to suggest that the developer had
>some extra time on his hands and welcomed the
>opportunity to discuss Method Calls and doc
>with John while test loading the software. Good
>timing, which John demonstrated, can be key to
>working with developers.

Megan...only an idiot believes that they are going to convince the other guy
that their question is more important that what the developer is doing.

Part of what I've been doing requires me to interview a set of 7 different
developers on the business process behind their applications.

1) Each Monday, I ask them how their schedule looks the following week and
what is a good part of the week to talk.
2) I send them a meeting invitation and ask for no more than 30 minutes. In
that invitation, I include what we'll be covering and what they need to
bring. I also tell them that if they have anything already documented that I
can use as a base, to send it ahead of time.
3) The day of the meeting, I send them an email asking them if the time set
aside for later in that day is still good.
4) We go to another room that has a PC so they can log into whatever they
need but away from phones.
5) I spend the first 15 minutes of the first session explaining why I'm
doing what I'm doing and I show them samples of what they other guys have
done. They all want to show they are better than the other guys, so they
compete with how much they can give me.

It may not work all the time, but it does enough to make my job easier
rather than harder.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com