RE: Time Writing vs. Time Updating

Subject: RE: Time Writing vs. Time Updating
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:44:01 -0700

Having lived in both worlds, I can answer this from the POV of both a
full-time TW -and- a freelancer, and would have to say that the answer to
your question has -nothing- to do with my employment status, and
-everything- to do with how much the product has changed between releases:
- For some projects, it's little more than adding the new bits, touching up
the bits that have been modified, and cleaning up things I didn't have time
to do the way I -really- wanted to for the previous version.
- For other projects, each release requires almost brand-new material (such
as when the product went from being DOS-based to Windows -- while the
concepts & goals were the same, everything else about it was different).