Re: Estimating a Project

Subject: Re: Estimating a Project
From: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 09:06:36 -0800

Scottie

May I assume you want to know how to estimate the length of time a job
will take so you can either get paid the proper fee or not irritate a
supervisor by taking too long?

After being a freelancer for 30+ years, there is only one majic formula I
know for estimating a job and that's experience. And sometimes that fails
also. Ir it's time you're worried about, don't forget to add in a little
for being pulled off the job to do something else. And keep good records
about how your time is spent in case someone complains about how long the
job is taking.

It it's being paid for your time you are interested in, add about 10% to
what you think you can do it for. If you can come in a couple dollars
under, you'll be a hero. Or, you could take the system a friend of my
had. She did her best to estimate exact time, etc. needed and stuck to
that estimate. Sometimes it was a little be more than it actually took,
and sometimes a little less. But she always invoiced her estimate. She
taught me alot. I used to lower my bill from my estimate if the job cost
less, and "eat" it if it cost more. Now I stick to my estimate and work
to make them as accurate as possible. It all evens out in the end, if
accuracy is that for which you strive.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design since 1972
Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs., portraits (people & pets) from
photos
Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
Transcription, etc.
Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:40:08 -0800 (PST) S <scottiecornwell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
writes:

> Does anyone have a "magic" formula for estimating
> documentation?

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com