Any Techwhirlers in 3d games?

Subject: Any Techwhirlers in 3d games?
From: "Owen Flatau" <owenf -at- mighty -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:55:10 +0200

hi everyone,

i have recently taken a 6 month 'independent contractor'
contract, in a 3d game dev company.

not only are the hours and work ethic completely chaotic
(nights, weekends), i am expected to fit in seamlessly with
a huge team of highly skilled workers (mathematicians and
physicists, animators and cg programmers etc). that is to
say, highly skilled at their own work but very much lacking
in the old social skills.

more than this, they are sooo busy, and management is such
a _shambles_ (if you know me and you happen to be in this
company AND on this list, well then: its the truth, deal
with it...) that in two weeks i have not had one bit of
advice on which direction to take, what results or outputs
are expected etc. i was just introduced as the
documentation guy and pigeonholed.

since i got here, some people have asked me: "so, what do
you think of our code?" at which point, to much
down-the-nose peering, i am forced to admit: "i have not
yet seen any, nor would i understand it if i had."

the person who hired me knew that i was not a programmer
but i think the expectations of the team were slightly
different.

would anybody who has had similar experience, or has worked
in a 'well-managed' games environment, care to advise
off-list?

kind regards,
owen

==
Download ringtones, logos and picture messages at Ananzi Mobile Fun.
http://www.ananzi.co.za/cgi-bin/goto.pl?mobile

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com