Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: "Robert E. Simanski" <rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:07:42 -0500

At 04:54 PM 3/24/2003 -0800, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

System resources do have quite a significant effect. I run 1-2 Gb on my systems,
with fixed paging files 2X RAM.

Don't confuse system resources with either physical memory or drive space. Also, system resources are a factor in Windows 9x and ME, but not in Windows 2000 or XP and probably not in NT 4 either.

When Windows loads, it grabs a block of memory and devotes it to something called system resources. Every window that you have open, every icon, every toolbar, and a bunch of other things are stored in system resources. Windows uses some of them and so does every Windows program. The size of the block of memory devoted to system resources is fixed regardless of the amount of memory in your computer and there is nothing that you can do to change it.

As your Windows session progresses, these resources get depleted. Many programs use a lot of resources and don't give all of them back when you close the program. If your free system resources get below 25 percent, you can have problems such as system lock-ups or screens that don't refresh properly. The only way to replenish system resources is to close all of your programs and restart Windows.

In addition to being a technical writer and proposal manager, I am also a computer consultant and troubleshooter who specializes in home, home-office, and small-office clients. Whenever I visit a client for the first time, I usually find a system tray that looks like a cafeteria line. These are all programs that load when Windows does and run in the background, taking up system resources, memory, and CPU time. The first thing that I do is install the Resource Meter in the Startup folder, so that the client can monitor available resources easily. If the client has less than 85 percent of resources free when Windows finishes loading, before any programs are opened, I work with them to disable as many of these background programs as possible.

I use the Resource Meter on my own system as well, of course. If I am about to work on an important project with large files and my free resources are less than about 60 percent, I restart Windows first.

Robert E. Simanski, Owner, Business Pro Services
Publications * Web sites * Proposals * Computer Support
751 South Sugarland Run Drive, Sterling, VA 20164-1328
Voice: 703-404-8665 Fax/Data: 703-404-8156
rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com * www.businessproservices.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com