Different....'THAN' ..vs. FROM

Subject: Different....'THAN' ..vs. FROM
From: "Muwonge, Margaret" <Margaret -dot- Muwonge -at- fhwa -dot- dot -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:12:53 -0500

Hello to you all 'T-Dubyas'!

These days I hear 'different than' everywhere....and I mean everywhere!! I have diligently crossed out 'than' and replaced it with 'from'. I simply cannot forget my English teacher's rage at the 'murderers of the English language' (this was a different country guys).
Besides, as far as I know on this side of the pond, Princeton, NJ, (SAT, SSAT, GRE, etc.) will NOT let you get away with ' different than'.
With all that said, my diligence has earned me questioning looks from some corners ....'how dare you'!! What do you mean?...blah...blah...!!
So, I turn to you my esteemed friends, do I or do I not replace the 'word' ? Personally, if somebody sees ---'whatever'--- as different than, who am I to argue!
Question: Is this mainstream now and OK?
Go ahead! Make my day!!
Thanks - Margaret

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com