Re: Estimating a Project

Subject: Re: Estimating a Project
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:16:11 -0800 (PST)

"Schermerhorn, Robert" wrote...

> Thank you! That was my point exactly :-) And what I find interesting is
> how many products, evidentally, are getting developed without solid MRDs
> and specs.

In the entire history of invention and technology, very few breakthroughs came
to fruition thanks to exquisite planning. Most of the greatest inventions and
technologies arise out of chaos, confusion, and accident.

This is why many products are developed with out a lot of planning. Excessive
planning has a way of crushing ingenuity and encouraging mediocrity. In many
ways, over-planning can be more destructive than under-planning. It can create
inflexibility in an organization causing resources to be wasted on marginal
endeavors.

Thus best plans are often the most simple and open to change. They account for
fundamentals only and leave a lot of issues to be handled at the appropriate
time. Mostly, there is strong emphasis on the individuals in a team to solve
problems and

Andrew Plato

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com