Re: Any Techwhirlers in 3d games?

Subject: Re: Any Techwhirlers in 3d games?
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:48:47 +0100

"Owen Flatau" <owenf -at- mighty -dot- co -dot- za> wrote in message news:192404 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> hi everyone,

This sounds familiar (from a previous incarnation). My advice, all IMHO....

You're the documentation expert.

Ask questions and work out what you think they need, define it in simple
terms, then tell the powers-that-be what you're doing in a short report: "I
have identified the following documentation needs which I propose to fulfil
in the order as set out here..."

They'll either approve it, or use it as a reference point for what they
really want. Either way, you have deliverables and a mandate from
management.

Then just do it, without making a fuss.

Ensure accuracy (and a well covered posterior) by getting relevant people to
sign off on your output, but don't tell them what your system is unless they
ask, because they really don't care.

In this sort of situation, it's vital to maintain the Jedi techwriter
mystique. In particular, don't show anybody anything but the final draft
because, as pointed out before on this list, engineers/SMEs tend to treat
drafts as failed attempts to produce a finished product. Instead, use email
to send people snippets: "Hi Cedric - Just wanted to check I understood the
XYZ feature. So far, I have: [your snippet here]"

It all sounds rather fun, actually
Take care
Martin

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com