Re: Article: "Living Documentation"

Subject: Re: Article: "Living Documentation"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:47:27 -0500

<<See? This only proves my point. You assume that there will always be
some dependency on an expert.>>

Actually that isn't my assumption at all. I'm only pointing out the stupidity of
arguing that there's NEVER any dependency on an expert (or other team member for
that matter). Or the stupidity of attempting to argue black and white over a
poorly defined situation. You haven't argued percentages, but others have.

<<I'm not commenting on your position or Andrew's as such, although it
must be fairly clear to anyone who remembers my posts that my position
is closer to Andrew's than to yours. I'm simply pointing out that your
starting points are so different that disagreement is inevitable.>>

The only position I'm taking is that it's stupid to be taking positions on
dependencies without any knowledge of a SPECIFIC situation under discussion.

The ridiculous-ness of the argument about how much a techwriter has to know just
baffles me. If you want to remain employed, you should be prepared to be
continuously learning. Heck, even the knowledge required by the SMEs in an
organisation can't necessarily be nailed down to the precision some are trying
to apply to techwriters. And just like techwriters, if SMEs want to remain
employed they have to willing to learn outside their scope to better interact
with the interdependent portions of the organisation.

Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com