Re: Article: "Living Documentation"

Subject: Re: Article: "Living Documentation"
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:12:07 EST

Andrew, for someone who says that blaming others is a waste of time, you
wallow in it yourself. The culmination of your rant is:

>> Processes don't make mistakes. People do.

I guess I'd have to disagree with that 94%. That's how much Dr. Deming
attributed errors to systems and not to the people working in them. (His
estimate varied over his 50-year career, but that's what he said most
recently.) Blaming workers for variations in the system was not only wrong
but counterproductive, since it tended to make the problems worse.

To counteract the misinformation in this topic, I recommend any of Deming's
books, starting with _Out of the Crisis_. Quality was Deming's life, and he
knew a lot more about improving and maintaining it that anyone else posting
here.

(I wish I'd gotten into this thread earlier, but I've been busy trying to get
a book finished. The original schedule was development complete, testing,
usability review, printing; the actual schedule is testing, usability review,
printing, and development complete. I'll take responsibility for the errors
in my book, but short of inventing a time machine, there's nothing I can do
about them.)

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com