Re: Teacher---Andrew hurt my feelings! (longish)

Subject: Re: Teacher---Andrew hurt my feelings! (longish)
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:17:25 -0700

Actually, this doesn't particularly bother me because I've seen it happen so many
times. I've often been called upon to document something I've never had any
experience with, either because there's nobody else in-house who can document
it any better, or because it's so new that on a day-to-day basis even the people
developing it don't really know what it's going to do (ever had the experience of
having a developer tell you, "Well, we're not really sure how or why it works...?"
I have). I've also had to hire writers who, while experienced technical writers,
didn't have a background in the technology my company was developing because
there simply weren't any who did answering our ads or networking efforts, and
lost out on potential contracts because the clients went for someone cheaper but
less knowledgeable. And, of course, I've bought my share of products that came
instructions that IMO couldn't possibly have been written by someone who
understood the #$%^& product, and it's a truly annoying experience to find that
it's easier to assemble or operate something *without* trying to follow its instructions
because you understand it better just by looking at it.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 02:42 PM 4/8/2003 -0500, Samuel Choy wrote:

I've been thinking about why this phrase has gotten so many people upset. I
don't think its the "responsibility" part, but the "authors don't
understand the material" part.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com