RE: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame

Subject: RE: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:55:11 -0400

I think his point was that there are often those who will make
something of a big deal about an error (even if it's to draw
attention away from their own shortcomings...).

You, the writer, respond: "Yes, thanks for pointing that out.
It's fixed now."

Them: "No, it's not. At least 2000 copies of the erroneous material
will be sold before the next release cycle comes around.
That's at least a couple of dozen calls to tech support!"

You: "Well, I could revise the readme.txt file or create a one-page
"whoops" sheet, to include in the package..."

Them: "That means issuing ECRs, getting them signed off for ECO,
revising the Bills of Material.... that's far too much hassle
for all these overworked people who are trying to get the
next release ready."

You: "So-o-o-o-oooo... you seem to be saying that the error isn't
that important, after all? It can wait for the next product
release?"

Them: "You're already in too much trouble to be acting the smart-ass."

You: "I'm offering possible solutions to the current, perceived
problem. What are you offering?"

Them: "Isn't performance-review time coming up?"

....... from here on, it becomes a matter of stamina...

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com