RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:41:45 -0700 (PDT)

Whilst I am nodding in general agreement, I would add
that as a technical writer I have, over these long
years, become sensitive to two things that perhaps
technical writers are more sensitive to than the
general business population:

1) Plagarism
2) Software piracy

That is, my experience is that the general business
community views art or content on the Web as communal,
and purchased software as owned and therefore
communal. Or, am I mistaken in projecting my
sensitivities onto the technical writing community as
a whole?

Otherwise, that's a pretty harsh assessment of
Intercom and, if those thoughts be generally held to
be true, how do we fix it?

Cheers,

Sean

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> There's no such thing as Technical Writer ethics,
> because there is no
> standard for TW ethics that differs from ethics in
> general.

<snip>

> Intercom writes about ethics because it doesn't know
> enough about how to
> write about technical writing.
>
> John Posada

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/