Re: Smoking and Ethics Re: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: Re: Smoking and Ethics Re: Who cares about ethics?
From: "Deb M." <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:23:44 -0400

From: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>

> >>Witnessing an employer refusing to hire a
> >>well-qualified candidate because they were a smoker.
>
> Concidering that there are some real productivity concerns about smokers
and
> smoking breaks, and that there is no law protecting smokers against
> discrimination, what was unethical?

Actually, to prevent carpal tunnel, we're all supposed to stop typing for 5
minutes once an hour.

> But then again, in the mind of smokers there's often a rather twisted
logic at
> work about who's rights come first. The non-smker has to be a good guest
and put
> up with smoking if they come over, the non-smoker has to be the good host
and
> put up with the smoking when they invite a smoker over. Had a talk show
host
> actually arguing that position once. When does the smoker need to be the
good
> guest/host?

They weren't talking about smoking in the same space as smokers. They were
talking about smoking at all. Even only in their own homes or cars.

> It's the only addiction that's treated as if it's a right.

Ya mean besides caffeine, sugar, work...?

Actually, it's one of the few addictions that's treated as if it's a moral
shortcoming. If nicotine addicts had the foresight to become heroine addicts
instead, their companies would gladly cover 30 days in a rehab center.

And what does this have to do with tech writing? Hardly anything. Except
that some tech writers are smokers and some developers are smokers. So, if
the developer you've been wanting to talk to is out having a smoke at the
same time, you could get some information whilst you puff. (Whatever
works...)

Cheers,
Deb

The Paper Trail