RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:01:57 -0400

I'll get into it if you wish, but the quick answer is just
that choices have consequences. Either you accept that, and
move on, or you whine and try to get somebody to wield a
big stick (and ignore the fact that THAT choice also has
consequences) on your behalf. ("You" referring to the smoker
in this case, not you personally.)

I could as easily have suggested that the employer just
hates the smell of smoke/smoker, doesn't like to pay
for all that expensive heated (or air-conditioned)
air that spills outdoors on all those trips to go outside
and smoke, doesn't like the mess near the door, doesn't
like the stench from the "Butt-Stop TM" cannister, doesn't
like impression conveyed to potential customers by gangs of
weed-suckers clustering around the building entrances. . . .

But this is removing itself from any ethical consideration
faced by techwriters, isn't it? Well, except for getting
hired. . .

But then, on that thought: the smoker could lie.
But then, the employer, upon learning about it, might
wonder what else the new employee lies about.

/k

Sean Brierley [mailto:seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com]
> Oh, I vehemently disagree.

> Do you eat doughnuts? Fish and chips? Drink coffee? Do
> you drive? Walking would be safer, you know. Do you
> have a pet dog? You'll live longer if you do--married?
> Children might reduce your availability for work, do
> you have those?

> At what point do individual choices reasonably permit
> an employer to deny your employment?

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com