RE: Hostility towards STC

Subject: RE: Hostility towards STC
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:15:08 -0400

How many "educated persons" have more than a thimbleful of expertise in any
of those areas?... Not all that many in my experience.

By the way EPSS is electronic performance support systems.

Audience analysis is significantly more than just knowing who you are
talking to, and I can only think a couple of professions where it is an
integral part of the skill set you should have: educators, marketers,
trainers and educators, law enforcement.

There are plenty of educated people who have one or two skill sets, and
almost none require all of them to be effective. If a programmer can't talk
to a group or a non-programmer without falling over in a dead faint, it
doesn't make him/her any less of a professional, it's not a skill required
to put you at the top of your profession.

If you want to be a top-rated information designer (I actually hate the term
Technical Writer, even though it's my title, because it describes so little
of the real scope of what I do) you do need to have all of those qualities
and probably more. Not all Technical Writers have, or want, some of those
skill sets, but then I would call them a Technical Writer, not an
Information Designer.

I guess I have two points here, one is that the technical communications
field has several specialties, mine being this mutt kind of job that
involves design, multi-media production, EPPS design and delivery, Marketing
Communications, Training, and internal staff support for general
applications), but the specific requirements include some base skills that
are common to the field, but not all that common outside it. Being a
Certified Technical Writer doesn't mean that much to me, being a good... No,
make that great, Information Designer does, if a respected certification
came with the territory so much the better. It doesn't make me superior to
a Technical Writer, a nurse, a veterinarian or a custodian, if those folks
are pushing the limits of their profession and pushing themselves to be
excellent then they're every bit as professional as I am.

Mark, I don't think we disagree as much as it sounds like :), I just don't
think very many people can do this well, enjoy it and improve it every day.
My connotation on "occupation" is some Census Bureau term meant to fit you
in a round hole, even if you're a square peg. Which is probably the source
of our apparent disagreement!

Round 4 coming up shortly :)

Connie Giordano