Re: Worrisome email

Subject: Re: Worrisome email
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:03:54 -0500

Hey Everyone,

I've been having problems with Lotus Notes here at work since sometime
Friday or so, so I'm just now getting some of these messages that probably
came through Friday or Monday to most of you all. However, I wanted to say
that I also received this message, along with two others probably related
to it. I forwarded it along to our IT people, as well. The IT manager
looked it up at Snopes.com and found it there, so I guess that it's been
around long enough to make it to the urban legends-type sites.
Yes, at first glance, it DOES seem pretty authentic. Someone went to a
fair bit of trouble to make it seem that way, even going so far as to
include links to actual Microsoft Web site pages and email addresses. And
THAT, to me, is the scary part. Seeing as how a great many people are NOT
computer-savvy enough to know better, they will probably click on it
thinking that it IS authentic simply because of the effort put into making
it look so. I wonder just how many people will do that? Since it seems to
have come through on the list, I'm thinking that no one else here will
receive it and our IT shop won't have the headaches that it would cause.
But I feel for the OTHER places where someone might get it and click on it!
Can you talk about spreading through a network pretty fast?!

Sam

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer, Human Resources
Texas Department of Criminal Justice