Re: Reader responsibility

Subject: Re: Reader responsibility
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:54:30 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa,

I'm reminded of one of Steven Covey's principles
outlined in his first 7 Habits book. He suggests that
we have "response-ability" -- the "ability" to
"respond" to an event in any way we choose. This
struck me as a powerful idea, in that it allows me to
take power away from people who intend to insult or
hurt me, to be open to different interpretations. That
principle can be applied to reading just as easily as
it is to oral communication.

Yes, I think there is a degree of responsibility that
intelligent people assume when they engage in
communication, whether it's reading or speaking with
another person. Unfortunately, critical thinking
skills are often trumped in favor of writing skills,
from our educational systems through the professional
environments in which we work.

Steven Brown
Technical Writer

http://search.yahoo.com