Re: Word Index-Phantom Entries SOLVED

Subject: Re: Word Index-Phantom Entries SOLVED
From: Carol Gilbert <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:02:00 -0700

Big thank you to Jim Carrig. Yes the {XE...} had to be in the file or they wouldn't have kept appearing when I generated the Index. But, they were the ones I deleted and they were still present in the TRACKED CHANGES! I knew I wasn't seeing them when I check Field Codes.

I may have more steps than required, but this is what I think I did:

1. Turn off TRK.
2. Turn on TRK.
3. Select Tools, Tracking Changes, Highlight to see them.
4. Select Tools, Accept or Reject Change.
5. Click the Paragraph button. Voila' the "phantom {XE...} became visible.
6. I then walked through the document and highlighted and accepted my {XE...} deletions and reclicked the Paragraph button.
7. Then when I regenerated my Index, all I got were the entries I put in and wanted!!!

Let's hear it big-time for Jim. I never would have come up with this cockamamy (sic) method in a million years! - Carol Gilbert

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 10:54 AM, Carol Gilbert wrote:

First, let me say thank you for being here. You are a rich source of answers. I was used to Framers, but I see some of you are contributors to both lists.

I am down to a few things I am not solving myself in MS Word. I am updating an older document. I deleted the original index. I have actually deleted all previous index marked entries. I have put in about 15 of my own new ones. When I generate an index (opting to delete the old one) I get an index with all of my entries looking good, but I still seem to have "phantom" entries from before. They do not appear with the marked entry but just " , vi" or " , 23". I have turned on fields and these entries are not present. I only see my own. Where are they coming from and how do I eliminate them? Obviously, I could manually get rid of them, but I much prefer to have Word generating it correctly.
TIA, - Carol Gilbert

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com