RE: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?

Subject: RE: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:37:19 -0600

I have to agree with Jenny & Andrew on this one, in spite of the fact that I
was once selected from a pool of more experienced writers -because- of my
total lack of knowledge/experience with the subject matter/technology. The
client's approach was "you'll look at [the product] the same way our
off-the-street-end-users will, and ask the same questions, etc., etc."
Sure, I pulled it off, and yes, the client was quite pleased with the
deliverables, but it wasn't an experience I would willingly repeat, or ever
recommend as a great strategy.

If I'd had more experience going into the job (i.e., if I knew then, as a
green writer, what I know now, after 15 years), I would have refused the
contract, and recommended someone with familiarity in the
subject/technology.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a writer has to be an -expert- in whatever
they're documenting, but I definitely agree that the more you know about the
subject/market/technology/etc., the easier it is to produce a quality
deliverable. And yes, I -do- think that the writer's knowledge should
extend beyond the technology itself to the -use- of the technology.