Re: No Numbering "Restart" Available

Subject: Re: No Numbering "Restart" Available
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:05:05 -0400

The restart numbering is only available when you use Outline Numbering.

However, it is *not* recommended that you use Word's autonumbering scheme if you do a whole lot of numbered list. My understanding is that Word create "templates" that are used to identify numbering, but cutting, pasting, and normal activities can intermingle and confuse those templates. There is absolutely nothing you can do to fix them.

These templates look at the numbering galleries (those numbering schemes that are already present in the Formats>Bullets and numbering), but they look at them by *position,* so what appears in the gallery position #1 on your machine may not be what's in gallery position #1 on mine, and that can confuse Word even more, especially if multiple users are opening the docs. What's worse, there doesn't seem to be a "default" style for bullets and numbering, since word uses whatever was applied first after that installation.

The most common, and most stable, way of handling numbering is to use field codes.

The key to making it work is first to open up the bullets and numbering galleries and reset all of them (numbering and outline numbering) - that returns all templates to the "default" style and removes the possibility of a problem. Then, go into the style, strip out all autonumbering, and reset all of those galleries to factory defaults.

It is a bit difficult to set up, but the directions are available here (just ignore the stuff related to robohelp).

http://www.knopf.com/tips/autonumber.html

If you don't use a lot of numbering, then there is another somewhat-stable method that isn't too difficult. It requires you to set up as many as 8 or 9 "numbered" styles (numberedlist1, numberedlist2, numberedlist3, et cetera), and link each style to an outline level.

There is a good description of how to do this here:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

One caveat: be sure you give the numbering scheme a name (at the bottom of the dialog box. You might have to click the "more" button to get to it). You can also customize the levels to your needs. Once you set up this scheme, NEVER use the numbering icon on the toolbar to create a numbered list; *always* use the styles. An added plus, you'll be able to use the reset numbering option on the bullet and numbering gallery dialogue.

Feel free to contact me if you need more help (I've set up both schemes). I'll be glad to walk you through this step by step.

--
Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l