RE: On PDFs

Subject: RE: On PDFs
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:43:48 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Watson Laughton [mailto:WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com]
> Sent: April 24, 2003 12:19 PM
> To: TECHWR-L
> Subject: RE: On PDFs
My docs come as PDFs, except for the Install Guide, which
is also printed (and is really a throw-away item).

When you open my 400+ page User Guide, you can click on
any ToC entry, or on any Index entry and immediately jump
to the indicated page. There's also the tree-view pane
on the left (an Acrobat artifact) that goes one heading-level
lower than my ToC, and which is also all hot-linked.

There are also some hot links judiciously scattered througout
the body of the document.

That was all generated automatically from FrameMaker, and
made the crossing to PDF with no effort on my part.

What's the problem?

/kevin

> >>I know from experience that PDFs offer many advantages in
> this situation
>
> Just FMI, what are the advantages that PDFs offer? This
> doesn't really
> apply to YOUR situation, but I am usually overcome with
> loathing when e.g. a
> product comes with one giant PDF file (no links, not searchable, takes
> forever to load, would take an eternity if I had to DOWNLOAD
> it over a 56K
> line etc.). I long for the days when things came with a nice
> paperback
> manual that you could read on the train, instead of 600 pages
> of on-screen
> text that you have to scroll through 560 pages of to get what
> you're looking
> for.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com