Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a job - need opinions)

Subject: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a job - need opinions)
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:05:07 -0500

Lyn Worthen writes, "... - working 50 hours a week really isn't that
difficult."
She continues, "I've pulled a 50-55 hour schedule for years - you'd be
surprised how easy it really is - even with a family."

sorry, Lyn, but the LAST thing I want on my tombstone is "I wish I'd worked
more."
I'm settling in to late middle-age now (over 50), and I sure don't care
anything about working over 40 hours/week.

There's nothing wrong with 'long' hours but (IMO) only under these these 3
conditions: if an exempt (salaried) person, to meet a deadline (but only
'occasionally'); if a non-exempt ('timecard') laborer, for the overtime $$;
finally, if you are self-employed (to survive!). I assume that you're in the
third category.

After 5 years, I left a 'Job for Life' with my last employer (a Fortune 500
company), where many departments routinely require 50+ hours weekly for
salaried employees. That's exploitation. If the job routinely requires that
many hours, they need more bodies - simple as that.

I now work as a salaried employee, but we are contracted out, so our time is
strictly accountable, meaning anything over 40 must be management-approved
(before it's billable to the client). I love it!

Time to retire, some may say? - not quite, but I'm sure not ready for an
early grave!

Steve Gillespie

Sr Technical Writer
Science & Engineering Associates, Inc
Naval Personnel Command
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3100

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com