RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)

Subject: RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:25:01 -0600

Steve -

I didn't say it was a -preferred- schedule, did I? Just that when that's
what the job demands, it can be done with a minimum of impact on the rest of
your life.

I hated having regular long hours when I was an exempt employee (usu.
upwards of 60/wk), other than for the occasional "get the product out" push.
However, I was fortunate to have plenty of flexibility built into the rest
of it. Sure, it would have been great if the job could have been broken
into multiple positions, but that didn't happen while I was there.

Right now my FT job is on an hourly basis, so yeah, I do get OT for the
extra hours, and, like you, love that part of it. Still doesn't mean I like
working the extra hours, but at least now I get compensated for it. As far
as contract pay, I structure my bids to fairly compensate for the time I put
into them, and schedule them to allow time to have a life.

But I -never- said (or meant to suggest) that I -want- to work more or
regret not putting in more time at the office, in spite of the fact that I
generally enjoy my work.