Re: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: Re: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:15:50 -0800

Stevenson, Rebecca wrote:

In between being grateful for my coworkers, one thing I would like to mention: this list has *thousands* of subscribers. Even with the names filed off it might be possible for a lurker out there to identify someone--or him or herself--through these stories.

You are absolutely right that there are a lot of subscribers, and that one of them may be the person we are talking about. I hope so. Maybe that person (or those people) will see what others think of their work ethics and abilities. Maybe, just maybe, they will stop smoozing and start learning the craft. However, the truth is those people probably never heard of this web site and could care less about improving their skills.

The unfortunately result is we are left with people writing drivel like this:

1.15 Open Edit Window

After searching for the Survey and receiving the No Records found
message, you may now begin entering a new survey by clicking on the NEW
button shown below or click on the Exit button to return to the previous
page.

(There was a graphic placed in the middle of this text, splitting it half to each side making the who darn thing unreadable.)

This is the quality of the material produced by my predecessor, who, incidentally, was paid in excess of $60,000 per year. I think that by exposing these people and maybe embarrassing them enough to leave and get jobs as Motel Guys, we would do both our industry and our customers a world of good. As for my predecessor, he now works somewhere in Omaha. Nebraska.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l