Troubleshooting formats: any standards?

Subject: Troubleshooting formats: any standards?
From: Con & Yu <dorun -at- m3 -dot- dion -dot- ne -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1904 11:50:27 +0000

Thanks to all who helped me out with getting over the last brick wall I ran
into (Help interpreting data). I composed a rough drawing along the lines
suggested and then left them on the SME's desk to find when he comes back
from Golden Week.

I'll deal with it then and I will be in a calmer mood too.

Anyway my next assignment into the world of Technical Writing (art) involves
making Trouble shooting diagrams (is that the proper term?).

I have been assigned to prepare a diagram for two of our products.

One is as about as complex as a gas home lawn mower (or so I've been told
not having actually seen a lawn mower myself).

and the other one is reported to be as complex as an electric dishwasher. (I
have seen one of these.)

I have seen the products and have the literature nearby. Personally they
both look equally complex to me but in different ways. The SME said that
they were different as one has many more electrical components in it. I
guess that is their definition of complex: the more electrical components
the more complex something is.

So what I would like to ask those with such skills is: is there a special
format I should use to make the troubleshooting chart?

I was going to a simple three column table with headings such as problem,
Probable cause and cure. I would also list the preconditions above the
table.

For the washing machine-like product I was a chart that shows switches and
functional parts that are removable /replaceable. Again I would list the
preconditions above the chart.

Are these ideas close to what is standard for such formats? If not what is?

Again thanks for all the help on my last question.

Have a good week.

Sincerely,
Conchan
wishing the company would hire a real designer so he could go back to
pre-press.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com