RE: What Would You Do with a Writer WHO TRIES TO GET YOU FIRED? ( WAS: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: RE: What Would You Do with a Writer WHO TRIES TO GET YOU FIRED? ( WAS: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:52:35 -0500

>Good call (my forwarded snippy email to mgr). It's always a good idea to
involve management and go through the proper channels when things get to
this point.

Unfortunately, he seemed to take it out on ME (referecne yelling and
finger-wagging).

>As soon as this hit the table, I would have gone a bit more on the
offensive.

I think 'hit the fan' would be a better characterization. But I calmly asked
him to calm down (which made him angrier ;-).

>I would have referred to my previous evaluations and asked where in the
evaluations it said my work was less than satisfactory (I'm assuming your
evaluations are top-notch). I would have asked my manager if he currently
thought that my work was lacking, and if he thought I was coasting to
retirement. In other words, I would have eliminated "Bozo" from the
discussion ASAP.

Exactly. I pointed out my persistent 3.9 (of 4.0) evals from previous
employer, stack of awards, commendations, BZs, etc. My recod speaks for
itself, which is why the hiring mgr (not the current) brought me in at a
much larger salary than Bozo (who started ~6 mos before me) - my experience,
education, and track record are superior.

>I'll discuss personality conflicts and work through those. I will not
tolerate my work being disparaged for no reason.

- that's exactly what I did, while emphasizing that I did NOT have to be
'friends' with the guy to work with him.

>The other neat thing about discussing your competency is that this can be a
more concrete discussion. Ask him where you missed deadlines, caused errors,
and basically were a detriment. You should also bring up your positive
points as well (changes you've made, any "hero" scenarios, etc.).

- did that, too.

>Another step I would have taken (documented & reported to HR). I would have
also...

I agree, though another poster disagreed. I just want to be sure that my
career is in no way damaged, esp in the event of a wrongful firing. Would I
sue? - you better believe it!

thanks,
Steve Gillespie

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com