RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other threads)

Subject: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other threads)
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:00:11 -0500

Hey John,

That's a bit of a different situation, IMO. I don't think we're talking
about dropping everything at 5 PM and hitting the door, no matter what's
happening. In a situation like you describe, yes, I WOULD be ticked if
someone did that and everyone else was busting their butts. And no, I
WOULDN'T be the one to do that. I believe what we're referring to is
routinely, every day staying late just for the sake of staying late or
whatever. When there's a deadline and people are busting their butts, then
it's a given that I'd stay, as well. Matter of fact, I worked for 12+ hours
two days in a row to help out with a proposal and I wasn't even on the
proposal team! They needed some help and I volunteered. Also, I recall a
time in the Air Force where I essentially worked a double shift to get out
a VERY complicated report because all of the events happened on my shift
and I was heavily involved in it. It wouldn't have been fair to just leave
when my shift was over and expect for the next shift to do a report on
something that was that complicated and have the report make sense and
cover everything. I was STILL back in the next day for my regular shift AND
there was no additional pay or compensation since I was active duty
military.
In other words, at crunch time, I am just as willing and able to work
the extra time needed to get the job done. Working extra time every day
just because doesn't fall into my realm of a fun and exciting time.

Sam

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer, Human Resources
Texas Department of Criminal Justice