Hit the Road - my list

Subject: Hit the Road - my list
From: Keri Morgret <morgret -at- stanfordalumni -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 09:31:22 -0700

I've had several requests for my information, so I thought I'd clean it up a little and post it to the list. My experiences and recommendations are not technical writing specific, but are directed towards resources for people that want to live and work in their RVs full time. A tiny bit of background: I'm in my late twenties and have been going on camping trips since I was six weeks old. My parents retired a few years ago and spent about a year and a half living in their 30' fifth wheel trailer while travelling around the continental US. Before they retired, I lived in the same RV for several months - and it was heaven compared to dorm life!

Some links:

http://www.workersonwheels.com/ A website with lots of resources for full timers, with book reviews, links to magazines that offer jobs for full time RVers, etc.
http://www.lifeonwheels.com/ offers a weeklong workshop on all aspects of long term RV life. My parents found value in this conference, even after nearly three decades of camping.
http://www.escapees.com/website/ Escapees is an organization for full-time RVers, and will forward your mail and take care of / offer advice on some of those other logistics.

Some suggestions and comments:

If you've never gone camping for more than a weekend at a time, do some 1-4 week long trips to get used to the lifestyle (laundromats, finding ways to check email, can you and your spouse/partner/dog get along with each other for that much time on end) and to the type of vehicle you're considering (does driving a motorhome and listening to the dishes in the kitchen rattle bug you? Do you want to tow a car behind you so you can run out to the drive through without having to break camp and disconnect everything? Would you rather have a truck and a trailer? Does your setup have enough storage?).

I didn't find the part about the black water (from the toilet is black water, shower/sink is gray water) to be as much of a problem as one person did. If it's real hot weather, you'll want to dump the tank more often, and consider the type of chemicals to use (the big debate is whether or not to use formaldehyde in the stuff you dump in the tank).

What I DID find to be a problem was only having a five gallon hot water tank! I needed to take a shower first thing, before I washed dishes or anything else that would use up some of the precious hot water. My living situation was not at a campground, so I didn't have access to showers there.

For the most part, I loved camping growing up (we'd take 2-3 week trips from California to Iowa and back many summers), and I enjoyed living in the RV for those several months. Best of luck to those considering doing this!

Keri Morgret

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com