Creating PDF Document Collections

Subject: Creating PDF Document Collections
From: Andy McAleer <andy -dot- mcaleer -at- eu -dot- citrix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:42:32 +0100

Does anyone know how to create a PDF document that is itself a collection of
other, linked PDFs? I'd like to create a one- or two-page PDF that consists
solely of links to other PDFs. This one- or two-page PDF would act as a
master ToC to other, constituent PDFs. An important requirement is that the
links in the master ToC open the target PDF at a specific location: they
shouldn't simply open the PDF on its first page.

I'm a FrameMaker user, but what I DON'T want to do is handle the precursor
.FM files -- there are too many of them and they're managed by a team of
other writers. I'd rather work with the constituent PDFs once the writers
have finished writing. Nor do I want to convert to HTML as I need to
preserve the structure of the PDFs and don't want to move to multiple copies
in different formats.

I'm currently exploring FrameMaker's hypertext commands (hoping that I can
link to pre-existing PDFs when I create my "ToC") and am also looking at
some of Acrobat's options. Maybe there's a tool out there that I should be
using, or maybe this is a routine job for the likes of FrameMaker or
Acrobat.

If anyone can cast some light on this for me, I'd be very grateful.

Andy McAleer
Lead Technical Writer
Citrix Systems, UK

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com