Word heading-number question

Subject: Word heading-number question
From: "Fargas, Adrienne" <AFargas -at- condor -dot- nrl -dot- navy -dot- mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:38:54 -0400

Hi there,

I've searched both the techwr-l archives and microsoft.public.word.numbering
for an answer to this question, but I didn't find anything.

So, here goes:

Using advice from microsoft.public.word.numbering, I linked the numbered
heading styles in my Word document template to a specific outline-numbered
list template (1. for Heading1, 1.1 for Heading2, etc). This avoids the
common problem of Word using multiple numbered-list templates for the same
style. But I have a large manual comprised of six Word files, and the
outline-list template approach doesn't seem to work well over multiple
files. If I want to start the numbering for my first Heading2 in the
*second* manual file at something other than 1.1, (e.g. "3.7"), the only way
I've found to do it is to edit the outline-list template and restart it at
"3.7". This isn't really a fix, however, because changing it makes the
subsequent heading numbering incorrect. And if I go to fix the subsequent
numbering, I end up with *two* outline-numbered list templates for the same
heading style, which we all know is a disaster waiting to happen.

My solution for this particular manual has been to use SEQ-field numbering
for headings, since the SEQ field is reliable and very easy to reset to
whatever numbers you need. But if I use SEQ for my heading numbers instead
of a Word outline-numbered list template, I lose some of the niceties and
ease-of-use that comes with the Word-numbered headings.

Everything I've read so far leads me to believe that using SEQ is the way to
go for reliable and customizable numbering over multiple documents, but I
thought I'd ask here just in case....is there any way to do this using
Word's numbering?

Thanks for any info on this,

Adrienne

applications, including Net.