Re: Sign of the times

Subject: Re: Sign of the times
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:33:23 -0600

That's just under $25K. I know a good number of writers in South Florida
whose first tech writing gigs were in that economic ballpark, some of them
making even less than that. The ad *does* say entry to mid-level, and ya
gotta start somewhere. My first tech writing gig paid only a few thousand
more than that one, and it led to much bigger and better things.

Would *I* apply? No, not given my current circumstances. But if it was a
choice between that and not working at all, I would. Sounds like a perfect
entry level gig, and a lifesaver for a mid-level writer who's fallen on
hard times. It beats driving a truck, at least in my eyes.

It ain't the 90's anymore - we all need to acknowledge that. I'm hanging
on for dear life to a gig I got back when tech writers made decent wages,
and fully expect to take a pay cut at my next job if this one ever goes
south on me. Living within one's means is more important than ever right
now.

As somebody else pointed out in another current thread, overall, tech
writing is still one of the most lucrative and stable writing careers for
people whose last name isn't King, Clancy, Grisham, or Cornwell.

Keith Cronin
still convinced that Elvis got his start as a tech writer

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com