Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:54:24 -0400

Andrew wrote:

> Here we go - another in the endless series of "ignorance is an asset"
> arguments. Except this one has no explanation of why. Just a blanket
"usually
> ends in unsatisfactory outcomes." Whatever that means. Perhaps it means,
> usually ends in the editor being fired for gross incompetence.
>
> Michael, why don't you explain how an editor who has no subject matter
> expertise is going to be more valuable that one who does? How can
ignorance of
> the content be MORE useful?

Whoa. Read Michael's post again, and you'll see that he doesn't suggest that
ignorance is an asset. If you're going to disagree with what someone says,
go ahead -- but you can't disagree with what they DON'T say.

I have a question for you (a serious one, not a facetious one). Does the
technical knowledge and writing skill have to reside in the same person? Or
can a technical expert collaborate with a skilled writer to produce a
valuable document?

> What consistently disappoints readers is when technical manuals are full
> worthless information.

Skilled writers haven't cornered the market on worthless information --
Technical experts with crappy writing skills are just as likely to fill a
manual with worhtless information.

> Everybody agrees that editors (as well as writers) need to have a base set
of
> language, tool, and grammar skills. Those basic skills are easily
acquired.

Ok, here's a facetious question :) When was the last time you tried to learn
a language or teach someone grammar? Language and grammar skills aren't
easily aquired, any more than technical knowledge is.

> To be of most value to a scientific or technical environment, the
> editor needs to understand the concepts and language that are important to
that
> environment first and foremost and then use his/her grammar and language
skills
> to ensure concepts are communicated effectively.

I agree with you completely here. Audience analysis -- one of the basic
tenets of tech writing -- includes learning about the audience's technical
expertise.

Cheers,
Brian

applications, including Net.