system administrators and documentation

Subject: system administrators and documentation
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:33:43 -0400

Hi there,

I work at a software company that sells billing software. Recently, I asked
the management team for some high-level ideas about what the company's goals
are for system administrators, and what role (if any) documentation could
play in achieving those goals. Here's the response:

"I think that we have to cater to the more experienced audience. We want the
more experienced user to get what they need out of the system admin
section - we can't forget that we may generate, ultimately, more business
from the less experienced users who will look at the information and may
feel that it is too much for them to do thereby opening up an opportunity
for us to offer our services down the line as an extension of our
implementation where we are in control of these duties."

So, the strategy seems to be: Provide information that's only useful to
people who already know the product well. Less experienced people will get
frustrated and call us for consulting hours.

Does this seem like a good plan to you? How would you respond? Thanks for
your thoughts,
Brian

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com