RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy

Subject: RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy
From: France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:37:18 -0400

>>Yes it's true, and the smaller the ratio of women to men in the environment,
>>the more likely it is to wreak havoc.

I refuse to believe the situation is always that way. In university there were 5
women IIRC in my year (Mechanical Engineering). And they each managed to have a
different personality and be treated accordingly by the male students (both
interms of bithciness/friendliness and respect/disrespect for level of
intelligence and effort). I particularly doubt it was because my class was
particularly enlightened (not).

Eric L. Dunn

---

Not always true, as a woman in computer Science I have had problems with one specific sexist teacher, and also in one class where part of the students (mostly women) came from the education department (and therefore had less previous training in the field). The teacher would not take my questions seriously and would not give me detailed answers (as if I wouldn't understand). I always had to ask my male collegues to ask the questions for me.

I also had teachers in high school tell me not too go in that field. They said as a woman I would not be able to do it because other students would not want to team with a girl. They were wrong, other students did not care.

I would also add that some older man (and women) have a harder time believing I know as much as I do. It also seems that even those who want you to be equal, somehow keep there stereotyped views. I've had a woman tell me: "It's nice that you have a man's job", back in the days when I was an audio-visual technician. It took me a while to understand what she meant as I had never thought of my job as a man's job!

Those interested in the subject can read "The male mind at work", it is based on a serious study about woman in "used to be" men's positions. After reading this, I was quite discouraged, but then again, things seems to change with time and I find it much easier as time goes by and stereotypes fall.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com