Re: Work Attire

Subject: Re: Work Attire
From: "Sella Rush" <rushsm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:50:42 -0700

In my experience, management who dress nicely have different motives than
the rank and file. It's partly that managers more often have outside contact
with clients, vendors, etc. Part of it is their job is a lot more dependent
on image. Often they're listening to the influence of a "business" culture
rather than a "tech" culture.

I really don't think it's a put down. In fact I really think you'll find
that dressing down is viewed as a valued and fought-for right, not something
that's been imposed. But coming from a newbie to the profession, it's
interesting you're seeing it that way, and I suppose it may eventually
transpose into that. Kind of like a new generation of women who wonder why
some women aren't allowed to wear bras.

But even among the techies there are those who choose a personal style that
stands apart from the jeans and t-shirts. (Women, I think, are more able to
pull this off than men.) In my previous job, there were several male
programmers who always wore nice slacks and shirt, never jeans, one woman
who always wore slacks and a jacket, and another who had a sort of bohemian
style that frankly looked great on her.

Re your other post about respect. I find I get all the respect I need by
aggressively learning what I need for the job and cultivating a variety of
sources. When I exhibit that I independently researched a topic, when I'm
asking informed and appropriate questions, that's when I get respect. It's
certainly good to be able to give developers help, but it's also good to
show an interest in the subject and a willingness to do more than just be
passively led by the SMEs.

Sella Rush
Seattle, WA
rushsm -at- attbi -dot- com