RE: Getting along despite interpersonal skills

Subject: RE: Getting along despite interpersonal skills
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:24:37 -0400

1. How is this person's work being measured, by the quality of
his writing or by the quality of his contribution to the team?
If this person is like me (as seems likely), he will respond
much more to objective measurement than to appeals to
his own or other people's feelings.

2. Getting along in the workplace does not require great
social skills. I am a generally quiet participant at social
gatherings, but a valued member of several work teams. I am
strongly oriented toward projects, not persons. (It helps that
we have processes in place for sharing information, bug
tracking software that includes the documentation like the
other software modules, and internal email so that I can
_start_ the interview process without a face-to-face.)

3. As others have suggested, pointing out how specific
behaviors have adverse consequences for projects (not
for the people involved) could help.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com