Re: (long) Textbooks - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Subject: Re: (long) Textbooks - the good, the bad, and the ugly
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:34:30 -0400

Keith:

I feel your pain. I was a math and English major as an undergraduate, and
embarked on an ill-fated master's degree in math.

Most math books are horrible - they don't really even attempt to teach, just
present a lot of text that isn't very clear or relevant. While terms and
definitions are important, I'd rather the books focus on using the math to
teach logic and problem-solving.

When I taught math, I strove to teach it from this standpoint. Here's how we
approached this problem earlier...now, apply those techniques to this
problem...unfortunately, the book fought that strategy and often caused more
confusion. I gradually and unwilling caved to the book, since I had no
control over the choice.

What I find even more incredible is the state of grammar books. These books
are often more dense and confusing than even the math books. The rules are
never really explained, but presented, with examples that aren't very clear,
and relying on terms and definitions that are more jargon than useful.

Oh, well...I'm out of school, so I'm not going to worry about it now...maybe
in a few months when I go back to get that IT degree....

Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.jewahe.net